Bowed Strings | Level 3 – Advanced
The Vielle and Jerome of Moravia
6 sessions - Self-paced | Next offering in Summer Term 2021
Jerome of Moravia is our great informant about the vielle in the 13th century. But while his treatise offers guidance about crucial elements such as ideal repertoires, ornamentation, phrasing, rhythm, and the tuning of the instrument, only the latter has received partial attention by modern performers. In this course we will explore all information that is relevant to the vielle and its performance in Moravia’s treatise.
In this course students will:
Search for an ideal repertoire for the instrument based on Moravia’s discussion about music composition, aesthetics, and performance conventions
Discuss and apply the three different vielle tunings given by the author to vocal and instrumental compositions
Perform pieces applying Moravia’s indications about ornamentation, phrasing, and rhythm
Explore other data about the vielle given by other contemporary music writers such as Johannes de Grocheio (improvisation), and Elias Salomonis (voice accompaniment)
Expand their vielle repertoire
DATES & DURATION
Open Mar 1 - June 14, 2021
6 sessions – Self-paced
1 credit ECTS: 350€
English - Spanish
Level 3 / Advanced
Musicians with intermediate or advanced technique on the selected instrument and basic knowledge of Medieval music notation.
Access to a vielle or a related bowed string instrument is necessary. Please check with us.
This course will be comprised of:
- 6 virtual one-on-one lessons (1 hour each)
- Recorded introductory lecture or one group live Q&A session (30 min)
- 6 tutorial videos (10-15 minutes each)
- Downloadable materials and links to additional resources
Schedules and assignments:
- The class dates and times will be scheduled with the instructor.
- There will be some suggested deadlines to submit assignments.
- The student workload to take the lessons, review the materials and practice is approximately 4.25 hours per session.
- Students taking the course for credit must complete all assignments and class requirements.
- Broadband Internet connection / WIFI
- External or internal webcam
- External or internal microphone
- Speakers or headphones
- Possibility of printing downloaded materials
- Possibility of scanning your assignments
- Possibility of auto-recording (audio and video)
Places are limited for each section, so sign up early.