PLUCKED STRINGS (PLECTRUM) | Level 3 – Advanced
The Citole, Gittern, Psaltery and the Clerical Music Repertoire
6 sessions - Self-paced
Medieval literature, art, and extant music testify to the popularity of the citole, gittern and psaltery among clerics. The sources indicate that both religious and secular compositions composed by clerics were performed on these instruments including lyrical and dance songs, pious compositions dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and purely instrumental pieces. Furthermore, a good amount of extant compositions, including Latin lays and secular sequences, fit the citole and the psaltery perfectly.
In this course students will:
Strengthen their technique
Discuss rhythmic interpretation, phrasing, ornamentation, and self-accompaniment
Study and perform pieces and repertoires composed by clerics that are associated to the citole and the psaltery in medieval literature and art
Search and work on other clerical pieces that can be perfectly performed with the citole and the psaltery (taking into consideration their tuning, range, type of melody, and connection with the above mentioned repertoires)
DATES & DURATION
Open Feb 14 – Jun 13, 2022
6 sessions – Self-paced
1 credit ECTS: 360€
English - Spanish
Level 3 / Advanced
Musicians with intermediate or advanced technique on the selected instrument and basic knowledge of Medieval music notation.
Access to a medieval instrument or related plucked string instrument is necessary. Please check with us.
Session 2 | Tropes and Songs to the Virgin Mary
Session 3 | Religious and Secular Dance Music
Session 4 | Lyrical Songs: Trouvère Chansons and cantigas de amigo
Session 5 | Instrumental Music: Playing and Composing Notae
Session 6 | The Latin Lai
This course will be comprised of:
- 6 virtual one-on-one lessons (1 hour each)
- Recorded introductory lecture or one group live Q&A session (30 min)
- 6 tutorial videos (10-15 minutes each)
- Downloadable materials and links to additional resources
Schedules and assignments:
- The class dates and times will be scheduled with the instructor.
- There will be some suggested deadlines to submit assignments.
- The student workload to take the lessons, review the materials and practice is approximately 4.25 hours per session.
- Students taking the course for credit must complete all assignments and class requirements.
- Broadband Internet connection / WIFI
- External or internal webcam
- External or internal microphone
- Speakers or headphones
- Possibility of printing downloaded materials
- Possibility of scanning your assignments
- Possibility of auto-recording (audio and video)
Places are limited for each section, so sign up early.