Bowed Strings | Level 2 – Intermediate
Vielle: Performing Trouvère and Parisian Repertoires
6 sessions - Self-paced
The vielle was the instrument per excellence in medieval northern French music. It was used by itinerant jongleurs and Parisian clerics to accompany trouvère chansons, religious compositions, and instrumental dances. Vielle players were praised not only for being able to perform “any type of composition” on the vielle, but also for their skills at improvising preludes and postludes to pre-existing compositions.
In this course students will:
Develop their vielle technique
Work with medieval tunings
Learn how to improvise preludes and postludes to vocal and instrumental compositions
Perform different northern French repertoires (trouvère songs, conductus, dance songs, and instrumental compositions)
DATES & DURATION
Open Feb 14 – Jun 13, 2022
6 sessions – Self-paced
1 credit ECTS: 360€
English - Spanish
Level 3 / Advanced
Musicians with intermediate or advanced technique (or has taken beginner course) on the selected instrument and basic knowledge of Medieval music notation.
Access to a vielle or a related bowed string instrument is necessary. Please check with us.
This course will be comprised of:
- 6 virtual one-on-one lessons (1 hour each)
- Recorded introductory lecture or one group live Q&A session (30 min)
- 6 tutorial videos (10-15 minutes each)
- Downloadable materials and links to additional resources
Schedules and assignments:
- The class dates and times will be scheduled with the instructor.
- There will be some suggested deadlines to submit assignments.
- The student workload to take the lessons, review the materials and practice is approximately 4.25 hours per session.
- Students taking the course for credit must complete all assignments and class requirements.
- Broadband Internet connection / WIFI
- External or internal webcam
- External or internal microphone
- Speakers or headphones
- Possibility of printing downloaded materials
- Possibility of scanning your assignments
- Possibility of auto-recording (audio and video)
Places are limited for each section, so sign up early.