Bowed Strings | Level 1 – Basic
Vielle I: Basic Technique, Repertoires and Performance Practice
6 sessions - Self-paced
Medieval sources reveal that the vielle was the most cherished and popular musical instrument of the medieval West. It was recorded in all different types of music contexts and discussed by important contemporary writers and music theoreticians. Thus, the vielle functions as a proper window into the world of medieval music culture. The purpose of this course is to introduce players of modern, historical, and traditional bowed string instruments (violin, viola, cello, viola da gamba) to the basic techniques and tunings of the vielle while exploring a wide gamut of medieval music repertoires.
In this course students will:
Explore the use of the vielle in medieval music
Study the basic techniques and performance possibilities of the instrument
Learn about the different tunings prescribed by medieval music theoreticians
Discover and play different repertoires associated with the instrument
DATES & DURATION
Sep 18, 2023 – Jan 15, 2024
6 sessions – Self-paced
1 credit ECTS: 360€
English - Spanish
Level 1 / Beginner
The course is designed for professional bow players (violin, viola, cello, etc.) or musicians who play bow instruments as a second instrument (in any case it is necessary to know the basic rudiments of the bow technique).
It is possible to participate without having vielle (by using and retuning a relative bowed instrument). The instrument should not have frets.
No previous experience in medieval repertoires or in the reading of medieval manuscripts is necessary.
This course will be comprised of:
- 6 virtual one-on-one lessons (1 hour each)
- Recorded introductory lecture or one group live Q&A session (30 min)
- 6 tutorial videos (10-15 minutes each)
- Downloadable materials and links to additional resources
Schedules and assignments:
- The class dates and times will be scheduled with the instructor.
- There will be some suggested deadlines to submit assignments.
- The student workload to take the lessons, review the materials and practice is approximately 4.25 hours per session.
- Students taking the course for credit must complete all assignments and class requirements.
- Broadband Internet connection / WIFI
- External or internal webcam
- External or internal microphone
- Speakers or headphones
- Possibility of printing downloaded materials
- Possibility of scanning your assignments
- Possibility of auto-recording (audio and video)
Places are limited for each section, so sign up early.