PORTATIVE ORGAN | Level 1 – Beginner
Discovering the Portative Organ: Basics of Playing
6 sessions - Self-paced | Next offering in Summer Term 2021
Organs played an important role in the West-European religious milieu of the 12th and 13th centuries. As a turn of fate, the organ is one of the instruments for which a significant number of written and depicted documentations about its use, construction, and symbology has survived. This enables us to rescue and bring back to life music once attributed to the medieval organ.
In this course students will:
Learn about the proper position of the body, the arms and the hands for playing the portative organ
Explore and learn medieval pieces for the instrument
Develop a playing technique and explore the musical capabilities of the portative organ
Learn how to tune the portative organ
Learn about the different types of portative organs
Cristina Alís Raurich
DATES & DURATION
Open July 5 - August 31, 2021
6 sessions – Self-paced
1 credit ECTS: 350€
English - Spanish
Level 1 / Beginner
No experience with the instrument is required. Student must have basic musical knowledge and be able to read modern music notation.
Access to a portative organ is necessary.
Session 2 | The Portative Organ as a Wind Instrument: Basics of Bellow 1
Session 3 | The Portative Organ as a Wind Instrument: Basics of Bellow 2
Session 4 | Getting to Know the Medieval Portative Organ Models: Organ Models (+ Basics of Bellow 3)
Session 5 | Learning to Tune the Portative Organ: Tuning 1
Session 6 | Organ Ornamentation According to Moravia’s Treatise (+ Tuning 2)
This course will be comprised of:
- 6 virtual one-on-one lessons (1 hour each)
- Recorded introductory lecture or one group live Q&A session (30 min)
- 6 tutorial videos (10-15 minutes each)
- Downloadable materials and links to additional resources
Schedules and assignments:
- The class dates and times will be scheduled with the instructor.
- There will be some suggested deadlines to submit assignments.
- The student workload to take the lessons, review the materials and practice is approximately 4.25 hours per session.
- Students taking the course for credit must complete all assignments and class requirements.
- Broadband Internet connection / WIFI
- External or internal webcam
- External or internal microphone
- Speakers or headphones
- Possibility of printing downloaded materials
- Possibility of scanning your assignments
- Possibility of auto-recording (audio and video)
Places are limited for each section, so sign up early.