PLUCKED STRINGS (Fingers) | Level 1 – Basic
The Medieval Harp I: Basic Technique and Repertoires
6 sessions - Self-paced
Harps occupy an important place in the medieval instrumentarium. They were used as solo instruments and to support singing. Medieval depictions of harps, musical treatises, and literary sources provide us with information that can be used to reconstruct the instrument’s repertoires, performance contexts, and even playing techniques.
In this basic level course, students will:
Learn about the different types of harps used during the period
Develop a healthy medieval-harp playing technique
Explore melodic playing and intervallic accompaniment
Perform different medieval French and Spanish music repertoires
DATES & DURATION
Sep 18, 2023 – Jan 15, 2024
6 sessions – Self-paced
1 credit ECTS: 360€
English – French
Level 1 / Beginner
Musicians with intermediate or advanced technique on the selected instrument and basic knowledge of Medieval music notation.
Access to a medieval or a similar type of harp is necessary. Please check with us.
This course will be comprised of:
- 6 virtual one-on-one lessons (1 hour each)
- Recorded introductory lecture or one group live Q&A session (30 min)
- 6 tutorial videos (10-15 minutes each)
- Downloadable materials and links to additional resources
Schedules and assignments:
- The class dates and times will be scheduled with the instructor.
- There will be some suggested deadlines to submit assignments.
- The student workload to take the lessons, review the materials and practice is approximately 4.25 hours per session.
- Students taking the course for credit must complete all assignments and class requirements.
- Broadband Internet connection / WIFI
- External or internal webcam
- External or internal microphone
- Speakers or headphones
- Possibility of printing downloaded materials
- Possibility of scanning your assignments
- Possibility of auto-recording (audio and video)
Places are limited for each section, so sign up early.