PLUCKED STRINGS (Fingers) | Level 2 – Intermediate
Medieval Harp II: The Harp in 13th-Century France
6 sessions - Self-paced
Medieval literature and art testify to the popularity of the harp in 13th-century France. The sources reveal that during this period, the instrument had important symbolic and musical roles: while it was generally represented in the hands of the mythical King David or Tristan (as an identifier and symbol of musical prowess and harmony), it was also used by professional musicians to accompany songs and instrumental music and as an instrument capable of virtuosic solo playing.
In this intermediate level course students will:
Continue developing their technique and playing style for solo and ensemble performance
Construct a harp-specific repertoire based on French sources (trouvères, polyphony, estampies)
Learn to improvise preludes and postludes to preexisting pieces
DATES & DURATION
Sep 18, 2023 – Jan 15, 2024
6 sessions – Self-paced
1 credit ECTS: 360€
English – French
Level 3 / Advanced
Musicians with intermediate or advanced technique on the selected instrument and basic knowledge of Medieval music notation.
Access to a medieval or a similar type of harp is necessary. Please check with us.
Session 2 | Playing and Accompanying Trouvère
Session 3 | Performing and Adapting Notre-Dame Polyphony to the Harp 1
Session 4 | Performing and Adapting Notre-Dame Polyphony to the Harp 2
Session 5 | The Instrumental Estampies from Manuscrit du Roi 1
Session 6 | The Instrumental Estampies from Manuscrit du Roi 2
This course will be comprised of:
- 6 virtual one-on-one lessons (1 hour each)
- Recorded introductory lecture or one group live Q&A session (30 min)
- 6 tutorial videos (10-15 minutes each)
- Downloadable materials and links to additional resources
Schedules and assignments:
- The class dates and times will be scheduled with the instructor.
- There will be some suggested deadlines to submit assignments.
- The student workload to take the lessons, review the materials and practice is approximately 4.25 hours per session.
- Students taking the course for credit must complete all assignments and class requirements.
- Broadband Internet connection / WIFI
- External or internal webcam
- External or internal microphone
- Speakers or headphones
- Possibility of printing downloaded materials
- Possibility of scanning your assignments
- Possibility of auto-recording (audio and video)
Places are limited for each section, so sign up early.