PLUCKED STRINGS (Fingers) | Level 3 – Advanced
The Harp and Anglo-Norman Repertoire
6 sessions - Self-paced
Literary sources and iconography indicate the presence of the harp in the medieval British Isles. The music that has been preserved to this day may be rather scarce, but if offers a great variety of musical styles (as well as languages with the cohabitation of Anglo-Norman, Middle English and Latin) which will allow us to explore different aspects of medieval harp playing.
In this course students will:
Study technique and fingerings in monophonic and polyphonic music
Explore phrasing, ornamentation and improvisation
Work on creating an accompaniment, from drones to simple polyphony
Adapt vocal monophonic and polyphonic music for the harp
Play and create a purely instrumental repertoire
DATES & DURATION
Feb 20 – Jun 19, 2023
6 sessions – Self-paced
1 credit ECTS: 360€
English - Spanish - French
Level 3 / Advanced
Musicians with intermediate or advanced technique on the selected instrument and basic knowledge of Medieval music notation.
Access to a medieval or a similar type of harp is necessary. Please check with us.
This course will be comprised of:
- 6 virtual one-on-one lessons (1 hour each)
- Recorded introductory lecture or one group live Q&A session (30 min)
- 6 tutorial videos (10-15 minutes each)
- Downloadable materials and links to additional resources
Schedules and assignments:
- The class dates and times will be scheduled with the instructor.
- There will be some suggested deadlines to submit assignments.
- The student workload to take the lessons, review the materials and practice is approximately 4.25 hours per session.
- Students taking the course for credit must complete all assignments and class requirements.
- Broadband Internet connection / WIFI
- External or internal webcam
- External or internal microphone
- Speakers or headphones
- Possibility of printing downloaded materials
- Possibility of scanning your assignments
- Possibility of auto-recording (audio and video)
Places are limited for each section, so sign up early.