REPERTOIRES AND PERFORMANCE
The Estampies and Danses Royales of the Manuscript du Roi
6 sessions - Self-paced
The 13th-century music source known as the Manuscrit du Roi (Paris, Bibliothèque Nationale fonds français 844) contains the earliest extant collection of medieval instrumental music. The collection is comprised of eleven monophonic pieces copied in Franconian notation which are identified as either estampies or danses. The musical structures of these compositions closely correspond to those of the instrumental stantipes, ductia, and nota described by the contemporary music theorist Johannes de Grocheio’s (De musica, c. 1300). Grocheio’s discussion, the clarity of the music notation in Paris 844, and other related medieval sources offer us with enough information about the way these pieces were performed.
In this course students will:
Survey different medieval information about the estampies and the ductias
Analyze the music structure of the instrumental pieces contained in Paris 844, and discuss the collection’s performance context and connection with other repertoires
Study the music notation of all the pieces directly from the source
Transcribe the full collection (11 pieces in total) directly from the original notation to create a performance edition
Discuss how to perform pieces in Paris 844 (tempo, phrasing, ornamentation, “intervallic” and rhythmic accompaniment, and expression)
Compose new ductias and estampies in the style of Paris 844
Dr. Mauricio Molina
DATES & DURATION
Sep 18, 2023 – Jan 15, 2024
6 sessions – Self-paced
Price 1.5 creds
1.5 credit ECTS: 320€
English - Spanish
Session 1 | The Ductias in the Ms Paris 844
Session 2 | The Estampies in the Ms 844
Session 3 | Melodic Analysis and Transcription I
Session 4 | Melodic Analysis and Transcription II
Session 5 | From Sequence to Estampie and Ductia
Session 6 | Finishing Our Edition
This course will be comprised of:
- 6 tutorial videos of 20-35 minutes each (total 3.5 hours)
- 6 recorded lectures of 45 minute each (total 4.5 hours)
- 3 biweekly live Q&A sessions of 1hour and 15 minutes each (total 3.5 hours) conducted through the course. The sessions will be recorded so that students can access them at any time.
- Downloadable materials and links to additional resources
Schedules and assignments:
- The course is self-paced.
- The majority of pre-recorded video lessons, lectures, and study materials will be posted on the first day of the term.
- Students will have access to all session and their materials until the last day of the term.
- The student workload to review the materials and complete the assignments is approximately 6.25 hours per session
- There will be some suggested deadlines to submit assignments
- Homework will be accepted until a week before the end of the term
- Students taking the course for credit must complete all assignments and class requirements
- Broadband Internet connection / WIFI
- External or internal webcam
- External or internal microphone
- Speakers or headphones
- Possibility of printing downloaded materials
- Possibility of scanning your assignments
- Possibility of auto-recording (audio and video)
Places are limited for each section, so sign up early.