PLUCKED STRINGS (PLECTRUM) | Level 1 – Basic
The Citole/Gittern I: Basic Technique and Repertoire
6 sessions - Self-paced
The citole and the gittern were some of the most important plucked string instruments of the medieval instrumentarium. They flourished between the twelfth and the fourteenth centuries and were used both by jongleurs and clerics to perform instrumental music and accompany lyrical and dance songs. This course is designed to introduce modern string players to the basic technique and repertoires of the citole and/or the gittern.
In this course students will:
Develop a good plectrum technique
Learn to accompany monophonic songs
Perform instrumental renditions of vocal music
Explore the contexts, sources, and repertoires related to these instruments directly from the original music manuscripts
Gustav Näsman Olai
DATES & DURATION
Sep 18, 2023 – Jan 15, 2024
6 sessions – Self-paced
1 credit ECTS: 360€
Level 1 / Beginner
Knowledge about modern music notation.
Access to a medieval instrument or related plucked string instrument is necessary. Please check with us.
Session 2 | Basic strumming patterns with drones and rhythmic modes, types of plectra
Session 3 | Accompaniment 1 – Playing with others
Session 4 | Accompaniment 2 – Playing as a soloist
Session 5 | Ornamentation – Trills, mediata and subdivision
Session 6 | Repertory and historical overview of the gittern and citole
This course will be comprised of:
- 6 virtual one-on-one lessons (1 hour each)
- Recorded introductory lecture or one group live Q&A session (30 min)
- 6 tutorial videos (10-15 minutes each)
- Downloadable materials and links to additional resources
Schedules and assignments:
- The class dates and times will be scheduled with the instructor.
- There will be some suggested deadlines to submit assignments.
- The student workload to take the lessons, review the materials and practice is approximately 4.25 hours per session.
- Students taking the course for credit must complete all assignments and class requirements.
- Broadband Internet connection / WIFI
- External or internal webcam
- External or internal microphone
- Speakers or headphones
- Possibility of printing downloaded materials
- Possibility of scanning your assignments
- Possibility of auto-recording (audio and video)
Places are limited for each section, so sign up early.